Friday, January 21, 2011

A Midsummer Night's Dream

Fairy: Over hill, over dale,
Thorough bush, thorough brier,
Over park, over pale,
Thorough flood, thorough fire,
I do wander everywhere,
Swifter than the moon's sphere;
And I serve the fairy queen,
To dew her orbs upon the green.
The cowslips tall her pensioners be:
In their gold coats spots you see;
Those be rubies, fairy favours,
In those freckles live their savours:
I must go seek some dewdrops here
And hang a pearl in every cowslip's ear.
Farewell, thou lob of spirits; I'll be gone:
Our queen and all our elves come here anon.



This is Titania, queen of the faeries. It was very difficult to make her face just right, I don't know how many times I sculpted her mouth, or tweaked her chin. Her cloak was difficult also in that it took me about two hours to paint; it is pretty much the only part of her that displays her rank in the faerie fold, so it had to be fancy looking enough. I don't know if it can be noticed in the picture, but her eyes are violet colored, and her hair is in a triangular cut out hair net, to add a sort of "netting" element to the sculpture ever so slightly reminiscent of spider webs. She has no wings, but that is because wings seemed such an unnatural element to add to her, I don't know why- most faerie sculptures I see have wings. She looks to me like she just snapped out of a dream, and is about to ask what visions she has seen. Or at least, slightly curious and wondering. She turned out better than I could have ever dared to hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment